When patients have experienced significant weight loss, especially after gastric bypass or banding procedures to help them lose weight, they may be left with a lot of loose and sagging skin that can pose functional and aesthetic concerns. A body lift surgery may be the perfect solution.
Read on to learn more about this procedure and who makes a good candidate.
- A body lift will improve the shape and tone of the underlying tissue beneath the skin and fat. It consists of removing excess sagging skin and fat and can smooth out a dimpled skin surface.
- Body lift surgery often involves the abdominal area, around the sides and into the lower back, the buttocks and all around the thighs.
- To complement a body lift, liposuction may be used to remove excess fat deposits where there is good skin elasticity and to reshape the body into ideal contours.
- Good candidates for surgery include patients who have significant loose skin in one or multiple areas of their body. Patients should be nonsmokers, in good general health and not have medical conditions that could impair healing or increase risk of surgery. If you have realistic goals and a positive outlook, then you would be a good candidate. It’s also important to be committed to leading a healthy lifestyle after surgery to maintain results.
- A body lift will requite extensive incisions, but advanced techniques will allow the surgeon to place these incisions in strategic locations so that the resulting scar can be hidden by swimsuits and other clothing.
- You will notice results from a body lift immediately but will take up to two years for final results to fully show themselves.
- It’s important to follow your surgeon’s instructions for the success of your surgery. Do not subject incisions to excessive force or motion as you heal.
If you are interested in learning more about a body lift surgery and whether you would be a good candidate for this procedure, call (773) 763-3990 for a consultation.