Choosing to get plastic surgery is a huge decision for any patient. It requires a commitment and investment in yourself, and you will want to do everything you can to protect your investment of time and money and prolong results.
Here are some top tips to maintain and prolong results of your plastic surgery for years to come.
- Taking care of your incisions properly is crucial to a successful recovery and the appearance of your scars. It’s important to follow your surgeon’s post-surgical instructions carefully. Often you will be given specific ointments and scar-care creams to use after your surgery, so use them as instructed. If you notice excess pain, swelling or signs of infection, notify your surgical team immediately.
- Scars are inevitable with many plastic surgery procedures, but your surgeon will take care to place incisions in places that are less visible as possible. Protect your skin and these incisions when you’re out in the sun so the resulting scar doesn’t darken. Wear sunscreen and avoid sun exposure on the area whenever possible.
- Even if you were following a skin care routine before surgery, be sure to discuss what you use during your consultation as your surgical team may have recommendations for other products to help you maintain or enhance results.
- If you have body contouring procedures such as a tummy tuck, body lift or liposuction, it will be especially important to follow a healthy diet and exercise regularly. While it is true that a procedure such as liposuction will rid your body of targeted fat cells, if you gain weight, you risk expanding other fat cells in other parts of the body and stretching skin, which can reverse the results of your surgery.
- In addition to consuming a healthier diet and exercising regularly, now is the time to take a look at other areas of your lifestyle where improvements can be made. If you smoke, you should quit as smoking can make you appear older and the nicotine can interfere with recovery and proper healing.