Are you considering an abdominoplasty, or tummy tuck, procedure? If so, don’t you wish your best girlfriend had already had the procedure and could tell you everything you need to know. After all, those are the most helpful tips, the ones that come straight from someone who has been there before.
Never fear. We’ve assembled a list of our most frequent “I wish I would have known…” comments and we’re sharing them with you.
What do our patients wish they had known?
- Recovery takes a long time. Longer than you think it will. It’s important to be patient with yourself and your body. Plan on at least two weeks off work, but more may be necessary.
- Your clothes won’t fit. Ideas of a tummy tuck come along with visions of slimmer, smaller silhouettes immediately. Again, be patient. Your body needs time to recover. Snuggle into a comfy pair of sweat pants for a little while.
- Skip the scale and the tape measure for at least a month, if not two! We’ve heard this so many times. After surgery, you will have swelling – so your weight and measurements may be higher than you expected.
- Don’t be a superhero after surgery. We encourage patients to line up post-surgery caretakers. It’s important to let those people take care of you! This is not the time to show everyone how strong and capable you are, and doing so only sets your recovery back. So relax, accept some help from your family and friends.
- Have peace with your decision to get a tummy tuck. In the midst of recovery, it might be easy to lose sight of why you did this. But we hear it time and time again… after recovery, patients are SO pleased with the results.
We’re happy to answer any of your questions regarding abdominoplasty. Give us a call to schedule a consultation with our team. You’ll be happy you did!