You have probably heard about Botox because it is a household name, after all, but you may not know when to get Botox or if this hugely popular wrinkle treatment is right for you. Here are some quick facts about Botox treatment.
- Botox is a safe and effective injectable that temporarily smooths out lines and wrinkles in the upper one-third of the face. These wrinkles are called dynamic wrinkles as they form when a muscle contracts during facial expressions such as smiling, laughing or frowning.
- The most common treatment options are horizontal forehead lines, crow’s feet around the eyes and the vertical “11” lines between the eyebrows. Botox works by relaxing the muscles underneath these areas and smoothing out the lines and wrinkles.
- In addition to its cosmetic use, Botox also has been proven as a successful treatment for severe underarm sweating.
- Botox treatment is not successful when addressing static lines and wrinkles, which are wrinkles that are always present. Sun damage, aging, genetics and lifestyle are all to blame for these lines, which are successfully treated by dermal fillers. Botox and dermal fillers can be used to successful treat all lines and wrinkles, enhancing your results.
- One of the biggest reasons why Botox is so popular other than the amazing results is the fact that this treatment only takes about 10-20 minutes, so you can return to normal activities once you leave the office after getting injections. You may notice some redness, but that should subside within a day.
- Results will show in just a few days as it takes time to relax the muscles and release the wrinkles. Botox results will last for 3-5 months, at which time you may need to return for more injections to maintain results.
- Ideal candidates for Botox are patients who are in good health and have a positive outlook and realistic expectations for results.